≡ Menu

Do I Keep Paying Spousal Maintenance In Brooklyn Even If I’m On Unemployment?

As long as you are under a court order to pay spousal maintenance, you are expected to comply with it even if you’re out of work and receiving unemployment benefits.

But when you experience a job loss and your financial circumstances change, it may be grounds to ask the court for a modification or suspension of spousal maintenance payments for short term relief while you find new work and get back on your feet.

Not all petitions for modification will succeed, which is why an attorney can make such a big difference for you.

The penalties for disobeying a court order can be intense, from enforcement actions taken against you to contempt charges that can put you in jail.

At Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino, we can make sure you have the time and space to get back to work without facing the hardships that go with violating a court order.

Call us today at 718-725-9601 and talk to an experienced Brooklyn divorce and modification attorney for free.

Comments on this entry are closed.